VERIZON TELEMATICS, INC.
Innovation is in our DNA at Verizon. Whether we’re collaborating with the biggest names in business, coming up with ingenious new ways for people and communities to connect, or creating ground breaking solutions for government, our focus is on transforming the world around us. We harness the power of technology to take on some of the world’s toughest challenges. To reinvent the here and now. To provide game-changing answers. To take what’s good and make it better. This is your chance to grow, explore and imagine with a global technology pioneer. At Verizon Telematics, we are pioneering patented technologies and innovative services designed to harness the power of the vehicle information network – real-time, anytime. From reducing the cost of vehicle manufacturing, service and ownership to supercharging fleet productivity, safety and convenience, we are setting new standards in the vehicle Telematics industry. What could be achieved with the right information? Imagine the possibilities we have.
The Connected Car services team is responsible for developing the platform and the API that helps our customers connect to their vehicle and manage it remotely. For example, remote start, heat or cool, lock, unlock, geo locate, etc. Or get real-time speed alerts, geo-fence alerts, vehicle diagnostics, etc.
As we expand our product offerings and take on more customers we are embarking on an exciting journey to transform our technology stack to support an open source platform to meet the scale and resiliency needs.
We are looking for an outstanding Software Engineer to help tackle the exciting technical opportunities ahead. This is an opportunity to develop high-profile elements of the Connect Car architecture, build systems at scale, leverage open source and cloud technologies, and seek challenging and business-impacting projects for the team to tackle.
You should have strong problem-solving skills, excellent communication skills, an understanding of how developers build, manage and deploy their infrastructure and applications, the ability to influence people from clients to managers by creating win-win solutions, and the desire to contribute to our next generation technology stack.
Software Engineer, Atlanta, GA
Position Summary Description:
Software Engineer will assist in the design, development, testing, and maintenance of a J2EE (Java Platform Enterprise Edition) based Telematics solution. This position will interact with a wide array of disciplines including Project Management, Operations, Engineering, Quality Assurance, etc. in a team atmosphere with the goal of bringing new products to market as well as maintaining existing products. The Software Engineer will be required to analyze and understand the existing Telematics System, make design decisions based on knowledge of Java and the full understanding of the existing system, review, analyze and modify interfaces, including coding, testing, debugging and installing to support the organization’s Telematics System, architecture, and standards.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Design: Lead and participate in design sessions and discussions, including architectural recommendations, best practices mentoring, coding standards enforcement, and design pattern modeling.
- Development: Participate as needed in the development and implementation of Java software based on approved design. Write new programs or create modifications to existing applications as necessary based on project requirements. Follow established standards for the design, coding, and testing of software. Also has responsibility for developing and implementing internal projects and toolsets for consumption by other team members that improve team productivity and quality.
- Testing: Review test plans, test files, and scripts for unit testing through integration testing. Work with users to validate system testing and conformity with functional requirements.
- Implementation: Follow appropriate change management and implementation procedures. Ensure that appropriate technical and functional documentation is prepared. Coordinate the implementation process.
- Support: Provide guidance and training to less experienced team members, provide guidance on technical troubleshooting and coordinate support with vendors and internal support teams. Provide support to new applications during and after implementation.
- Minimum of 2 years of software development experience
- Must have at least 2 years’ experience working through the design, development, release cycle, and delivering software products to market
- Understanding of telecommunication protocols (SMS, GPRS, SNMP, SMGP)
- Experience with open source platform such as Java, SpringBoot, Kafka, Redis, RxJAVA, Akka
- Experience with clustered/cloud computing with high volume transactional environments such as 1000 TPS
- Relevant experience with RESTful web services
- Experience with EJB 3 and/or Spring frameworks
- Understanding of distributed databases Cassandra or MongoDB
- Knowledge of the Hibernate framework
- Understanding of TCP/IP and socket-based communication
- Experience with Apache and SSL Authentication
- DevOps experience with Dockers will be highly preferred
- Experience with Scrum methodology and Agile practices
BSEE/BSCS Degree required
While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; hear or talk: use close vision; use hands to grasp, handle or feel objects; and type and manipulate controls. Employee is occasionally required to use distance vision, stand, kneel or crouch and lift up to 10 lbs.
Ideal candidate for this position
- Will be determined and committed to perform at highest quality and excellence. Will have a laser-sharp focus on goal of on-time and zero-defect delivery.
- Will be highly energetic and will strongly believe in on-going learning in order to optimally exploit his/her potential at workplace. Will constantly work towards being the best and to succeed at current assignment/project.
- Will be entrepreneurial and will successfully challenge existing paradigms. Will have a vision and will think expansively and outside the box to consistently generate and evaluate highly innovative ideas and solutions.
- Will be willing to take risks, will anticipate the consequences of decisions and will generate plans to address them. Will be willing to go against the grain, will have courage to take calculated risks and will have the ability to present his/her point of view in a positive and effective manner.
- Will take personal responsibility for ensuring customer satisfaction. Will take customer perspective and will proactively work to address the customer’s current problem and future requirements. Will anticipate and successfully fulfill customer expectations.
- Will have the ability to effectively leverage diverse resources. Will work hard to foster positive relationships and will develop win-win solutions when conflicts arise. Will build relationship by making self highly approachable, will seek input from others and will actively listen to concerns and alternate points of view, will make others feel valued and supported.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.